The Rome Kraft Employees Credit Union was chartered March 19, 1955. The sponsors of the credit union at that time were known as Rome Kraft Company and North Georgia Timberlands Company. Although the sponsor named has changed the Credit Union Charter has remained the same. Presently the sponsors are International Paper and Georgia Pacific.
The credit union was established by a group of people who decided they wanted to control their own financial destiny. They provided the initial capital to start the credit union, pool their money as savings and make low-cost loans to each other. The charter members of the credit union were:
- James B. Redd
- Sam J. Fogler
- Lawrence Tone, Jr.
- Guy E. Slayden
- E.V. McSwiney
- R.J. Kelly
- J.A. Whelan
- Everett M. Presley
The credit union operated from 1955 to 1988 inside the Mill. In January, 1988 the credit union moved to a rented office in the Iron Skillet restaurant building and for the first time operated as a separate entity. In 1989 the Board of Directors set a goal to build a credit union facility. In May, 1994 that goal was realized when the new credit union facility opened for business at 4620 Alabama Highway, approximately one mile east of the Mill. In 2007, the credit union added on to the building. A new board room, storage room and remodel of the Manager’s office and computer room was done.
Today the credit union is just over $18 million in assets and has more than $12 million in loans made to members.